You may have some questions about coaching if you haven’t ever heard of coaching before or if you’ve never personally worked with a coach. Here are a few commonly asked questions about coaching and the answers to help you figure out if coaching with Pushy Prophet Girl Ministries would work for you!
What is professional coaching?
The International Coaching Federation defines coaching as “partnering with clients in a thought-provoking and creative process that inspires them to maximize their personal and/or professional potential, which is particularly important in today’s uncertain and complex environment.” As a coach, I believe that YOU are the expert in your life, and I believe that all that you need to succeed is within you–I am just there to help pull it out! My responsibility is to—
- Discover, clarify, and align what you want to achieve
- Encourage you to become more self-aware
- Find solutions and strategies designed by you, that work for you
- Hold you accountable for reaching your goals
Coaching, as outlined here, is designed to bring you up to your full potential while improving your self-awareness and general outlook on life!
How is coaching different from counseling/therapy, consulting, mentoring, etc.?
Professional coaching relies on using personal change and goal setting to create different outcomes. In comparison, here’s how coaching lines up with other service professions:
Therapy/counseling focuses on healing from pain, dysfunction, and conflicts that usually arise from your past and are currently obstructing healthy living in present. Coaching, however, is future-focused. Coaching clients may experience positive feelings or emotions and overcome past issues as part of coaching, but the primary focus is on creating action plans to achieve your goals in your professional or personal life. Coaching is about action, accountability, and follow through.
Consulting is used when expertise in a certain field or area is needed and guided solutions are desired. Coaching, however, assumes that the you are the expert in your own life, and you will generate the necessary solutions, with the coach providing support through discovery-based approaches (questions, homework, etc.).
Mentoring is provided by someone who has wisdom and experience in a certain area. Mentoring may include advising, counseling, and coaching–in fact, Pushy Prophet Girl Ministries does provide some mentoring along with coaching. However, the coaching process does not include advising or counseling because the objective is that you, the client, will come to your own conclusions.
What are some typical reasons I may want to work with Michelle through Pushy Prophet Girl Ministries coaching?
You may be drawn to work with me through coaching for many reasons! Here are a few reasons clients have worked with me in the past:
- Something urgent, compelling, or exciting is at stake, such as a renewed call to sexual integrity–this is something challenging, a big heavenly audacious goal, or a new opportunity
- A desire to accelerate results, such as wanting to experience a closer walk with Jesus through consecration–this is moving faster toward achieving your goals
- Clarity in your calling, like working with youth–God has asked you to do something, but what does that mean or look like and what is He saying exactly?
- Core strengths need to be identified, along with how best to use them in your personal and/or professional life, like college graduates who are leaders without a home–you aren’t sure who God has made you to be, or what He has made you to do
- Life is out of balance, such as too much work, not enough personal time–you want to get rid of the negative consequences and become fearlessly fulfilled
How is coaching delivered?
Coaching typically begins with a 30-minute intensive, a free face-to-face meeting or teleconference/Skype call to determine if we are compatible and if your goals are within the context of my specialty. Then each session is delivered either via teleconference call/Skype or in person (face-to-face). Sessions are for an established length of time and may include work outside of the call (homework, assignments, actions to support the achievement of your personally prioritized goals). Coaching may also include assessments such as DISC or spiritual gifts, concepts/models/principles drawn from the behavioral sciences, and Christian traditions, as I am a Christian coach.
What are the coach and client each responsible for within the coaching relationship?
As your coach, I am responsible for the following**:
- Provides objective assessment and observations that foster the individual’s or team’s self-awareness and awareness of others
- Listens closely to fully understand the individual’s or team’s circumstances
- Acts as a sounding board in exploring possibilities and implementing thoughtful planning and decision making
- Champions opportunities and potential, encourage stretch and challenge commensurate with personal strengths and aspirations
- Fosters shifts in thinking that reveal fresh perspectives
- Challenges blind spots to illuminate new possibilities and supports the creation of alternative scenarios
- Maintains professional boundaries in the coaching relationship, including confidentiality, and adheres to the coaching profession’s code of ethics
The client, you, are responsible for the following**:
- Creates the coaching agenda based on personally meaningful coaching goals
- Uses assessments and observations to enhance self-awareness and awareness of others
- Envisions personal and or organizational success
- Assumes full responsibility for personal decisions and actions
- Utilizes the coaching process to promote possibility thinking and fresh perspectives
- Takes courageous action in alignment with personal goals and aspirations
- Engages big-picture thinking and problem-solving skills
- Takes the tools, concepts, models, and principles provided by the coach and engages in effective forward action
What will Pushy Prophet Girl Ministries coaching require from me as a client?
- Answering the tough questions and accepting the difficult truths
- Observing yourself, including but not limited to your intuitions, your assumptions, your judgments, your identity in Christ, your communication style, your skills, your personality, your beliefs
- Observing others and how they communicate
- Challenging your existing attitudes, beliefs, and behaviors–and if necessary, developing new ones in line with your goals
- Using your personal strengths to their fullest while minimizing your weaknesses
- ACTION–taking actions to reach your big, heavenly audacious goals despite your limitations, fears, or insecurities
- GRACE for yourself as you learn, and for others as they do the same
- COURAGE to reach for MORE than ever before and to scrutinize yourself fearlessly!
How will I know if coaching was successful?
You will know because you will know yourself better, and most importantly, you will have achieved your goals!